The winner fo the 2008 Evangelical Book of the Year—
Is not a book.
For the first time in the awards’ 30-year history, top honors go to an audio Bible —- The Word of Promise, a 21-hour New Testament read by performers including Jim Caviezel as Jesus. Caviezel played the role in Mel Gibson’s film, The Passion of the Christ.
The Evangelical Christian Publishers Association announced the award Sunday at the International Christian Retail show in Orlando.
Last year the top honor went to a novel — Ever After, by Karen Kingsbury. It was the first time a woman has won and the first fiction winner.
The Evangelical Christian Publishers Association award winners in the six categories:
- Bible: Discover God Study Bible, Tyndale House;
- Bible Reference & Study: An Old Testament Theology, by Bruce K. Waltke, Zondervan;
- Children & Youth: Teen Virtue: Confidential by Vicki Courtney, B&H Publishing;
- Christian Life: When the Game is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box, by John Ortberg, Zondervan;
- Fiction: In Search of Eden, by Linda Nichols, Bethany House/Baker Publishing Group;
- Inspiration & Gift: Step into the Bible, by Ruth Graham, Zondervan.